Happy Friday, Brazenites!
You’ve made it through another work week (unless you were on vacation some place warm, in which case you are very smart, and we are jealous). Take a load off and enjoy these links, specially selected to up your game, elevate your mind and give you a little boost of inspiration:
1. Military software programmer by day, kitschy sweater salesman by night: entrepreneur John Kaplar turned the “ugly sweater” trend into a business with his site Skedouche.com.
2. Are you the office “yes” person? Read this post for some tips on how to set boundaries at work.
3. If you’re a freelancer or subcontractor, you know there are busy times and there are dry spells. Take some of the scariness out of it by learning how to manage your finances when you don’t earn a steady income.
4. It’s a precarious position, so make sure you tread carefully: how to look for a new job while you’re still at your current job.
5. Keep your friends close and your coworkers…well, maybe not so close after all. First, see this post on how to tell if your office buddies are actually “frienemies”—and what to do about it.
6. Which gets you the job—attitude, or aptitude? A recent study found that common interests and personalities (or “cultural fit”) may have more to do with hiring decisions that you think.
7. Need a little inspiration at the end of a long week? Check out Scott Dinsmore’s TEDx talk on “How to Find and Do Work You Love”:
Have you read anything this week that’s worth passing on? Share it with us in the comments!