Lots of advice and anecdotes about landing your first job, plus how to get your blog post featured on Brazen next month.
Want to jumpstart your job search? BrazenU’s How to Get a Job You Will Love bootcamp will teach you how to form a successful job-search strategy, leverage social media in your search, interview with top recruiters, create a stellar network and more. Sign up today!
In early November, we asked you to blog about landing your first job, promising to compile all your links in one fabulously awesome Brazen Life post.
That time has come! And let us tell you, we are super impressed with what the Brazen community has come up with. This is one of the biggest perks of social networking: learning from each other. Thanks for these smart submissions!
Excerpts from some of our favorite posts:
“You’re not going to find your dream job for your first job.”
— Edward Antrobus: Don’t get suckered
Smart employees don’t suck up…they manage up. Rather than resort to flattery, consistently meet your boss’s expectations. Make her look good in front of others. Help her see potential problems or obstacles, but don’t be a thorn in her side. Learning to get along with your boss is one of the most important skills you can learn in your first job, because it never stops being important.
— Gears and Shifts: How to Make the Most of a Terrible First Job
Sometimes these types of tough experiences can help a candidate if handled in the right way. Everyone likes to see the ‘diamond in the rough’ or the ‘underdog’ do well and succeed.
— The Li$t: How to Address Transcript Blemishes
Lots more goodies
- The Wise Leap: How to Land Your First Job
- The New Careerist: Changing Jobs as a New Professional
- Working for Wonka: Should You Intern with a Startup?
- Young Leaders Academy: If you win the rat race…
- Paper string and ink: Landing that elusive first job
- Brand Nature: Landing my first job
- Cross Culturally Speaking: Job interview boot camp
- The 90 That Matters: Shine, Shoot and Close: Three Things That Helped me Land My First Job
- DenSchool: Why a Social Life is Important
- Digi Fab Belle: Life of an Ad Girl: Landing the Gig
- The Vanity Pounds: Happiness, Work, and Getting “In Flow”
- Wannabe Employee: Do you have the tools you need to do your job?
- College Decoded: Tips to Landing Your First Job
- Back to School at Forty: Landing Your First Job After Graduation
- Poco a Poco: Moving Beyond Generation Limbo
Great stuff, right?
If you read a post you really appreciate or can relate to, be sure to leave a comment or tweet at the author. In addition to learning from each other, this is an excellent way to connect with other go-getters and expand your network.
The December Run-Around
Since this first Run-Around went so smoothly, we’re doing another this month!
The topic: 2012 goals. What ONE THING should young professionals shoot to accomplish in the coming year? What’s your primary professional goal? Or, if you’re no longer in your 20s and care to look back, what do you wish you’d made a priority early in your career?
How to participate: Write a post about this topic on your blog, and leave the link to that post below in the comments. Only one post per participant.
Deadline: December 31, 2011. Then watch for your link in our next Run-Around post in early January.
Let’s see what you’ve got, Brazenites!